At sea, Marine Engineer’s career starts with the rank of Junior Engineer/Assistant Engineer Officer/Trainee Marine Engineer/Engine Cadet and goes up to Chief Engineer.
Here we’ll start with shore job opportunities including important government sectors.
- “Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering”
- It’s an online mode examination (Computer Based Test).
- It’s conducted by ( IITs + IISc ).
- Through this examination students either pursue their PG Programme or get job in PSU and other standard companies.
- Can Marine Engineering students appear for this prestigious examination ? : YES
- Marine Engineering already covers all major parts of Mechanical Engineering.
- So, you have always a good chance to excel in GATE with Mechanical stream.
- Did marine engineering students have to read extra subjects (Out of Marine Engineering Subjects) ? : YES
- You have to cover one extra subject by yourself. That is nothing but ‘Production & Manufacturing’.
- There are many students like you have cleared this examination every year with decent scores.
- Staff Selection Commission – Combined Graduate Level
- It’s a graduate level examination conducted by SSC.
- Through this examination, you can get jobs in various department like Income Tax, Excise, Custom, Ministry etc.
- This exam consists of 3 tier system : Tier 1, Tier 2 and Tier 3.
Computer Based (Online Mode) Examination, Paper consists of 4 different subjects : Reasoning , G.S, English, Mathematics
Computer Based (Online Mode) Examination, 2 Papers : Mathematics & English
Offline Mode Examination, Writing (Essays, Letter, Report etc.)
- For more info visit : www.ssc.nic.in
- Institute of Banking Personnel Selection
- It’s an autonomous body dedicated for banking sector.
- Through this examination, you will get job for Banking Officer.
- SBI (state bank of india) conducts its examination separately.
- There are 3 stages for final selection : (Pre + Mains + Interview)
- It takes very less time in all three procedures.
- Subjects are English, G.S, Mathematics and Reasoning.
- For more info visit : www.ibps.in
- It’s a golden opportunities for marine engineers.
- There are various awesome engine makers in the world like Sulzer (Wartsila), MAN, Caterpillar etc.
- If you are interested in Engine design then you should prefer these giant companies.
- These companies are product based company and seek the latest technologies and knowledge.
- For more info visit : www.wartsila.com , www.dieselturbo.man.eu etc.
- Civil Service Examination (UPSC)
- It’s governed by a government body UPSC (Union Public Service Commission).
- No doubt, this examination is really awesome among graduate students.
- Every year UPSC conducts this exam for bureaucratic jobs like IAS, IFS, IPS, IRS etc.
- CSE consists of 3 stages : (Prelims + Mains + Interview).
- In this examination, you are free to choose 1 optional paper from the prescribed subjects.
- Preliminary examination is only qualifying in nature.
- Mains papers are : (1 Essays Paper + 4 GS Papers + 2 Optional Paper + 1 Any Indian Language Paper + 1 English Paper).
- English and Indian language papers are only qualifying in nature.
- This examination is of total 2025 marks.
- For more info visit : www.upsc.gov.in
- Combined Defence Service
- It is conducted by UPSC only and two times in a year.
- Through this examination you can get job in Army, Navy & Air force.
- No doubt, there are provision of medical standards for various posts.
- You can apply for this exam in final year of graduation.
- Subjects are generic i.e. same as SSC CGL with minor differences.
- It is the easiest way to settle down.
- Those who wants to build his career in merchant navy either in deck side or engine side, it is best.
- Try to get placement through your college only and don’t trap in manning agencies.
- If you have decent knowledge then you will get job surely sooner or later.
- Patience is the master key to grow in this field.
- Yes! This is awesome if you have patience and courage to pursue your studies.
- You can choose Master degree or MBA in different streams.
- If you can pursue MBA in Logistics, it will very helpful to you.
- Listen, All the courses related to maritime industry is costly.
- So decide carefully and make it happen.
Shipyards, Ship Building & Offshore
- There are various Indian as well as overseas shipyards/Ship Building Companies which provide a lucrative career opportunities for fresher.
- In India you can join shipyards like Mazgaon, Kochi etc.
- You can get job easily in overseas shipyards in Japan and South Korea after some experience.
- Offshore Platforms need very skilled engineer and you can join that also.
- Offshore Construction offers a wide range of job opportunities for marine engineers.
Marine Engineering is not limited to ships and ocean. One who wants to explore the maritime world beyond ships and sailing, they can pursue some higher & advanced courses.
It’s not compulsory to sail after Marine Engineering, you can expand the marine sector unexpectedly by pursuing higher education. Some of advanced higher courses related to marine sector are followings:
- MSc (Marine Engineering)
- Coastal and Marine Engineering and Management
- Marine Studies and Costal Resource
- Naval Architecture and marine sciences
- Naval Architecture and ocean engineering
- Marine drafting
- Naval Architecture and Ship building
- Masters in Shipping and Transport
- Marine Transport design
- Offshore and Environmental Technology
- Pipeline engineering
- Subsea Engineering and Management
- PG Diploma in International transportation and Logistics Port Management
- MSc Remote Operated Vehicle (ROV)
- Technical management of ship operation
- MSc in Offshore Floating Systems
- MSc Marine and Offshore Power
- Ship and offshore Structure
- MSc Marine Sciences
- MSc Marine Zoology
- MSc (Marine Sc.) specialization in Chemical Oceanography, Physical Oceanography, M.Sc. (Meteorology & Oceanography)
- MSc Marine geology
- MSc Ocean Life Sciences
- MBA in Shipping
- MSc in marine biology
- Maritime Law
Top Shipping Companies & Placement
There is two type of shipping company or organisation, either ownership company or management company. Both are good, no doubt. Maximum company recruit his crew from India but not all. Here is the list of some good company who generally prefer Indians:
- Evergreen Line
- NYK Line
Some top Indian companies are:
- Essar Shipping
- Great Eastern Shipping
- Varun Shipping
- Shreyas Shipping
Placement & Sponsorship
Many companies like Maersk, wallem, Anglo Eastern provide sponsorship to those students who have cleared CET.
You can directly visit their office or you can call them or you can visit their websites for submitting your CV. For selection they will also conduct a written exam, the student have to pass that.
After clearing exam company can ask your brother to join institute of their choice.
For more info read journals in Marex bulletin they also provide good information regarding this.
Note: Never give money for sponsorship, it is illegal to ask money for companies or agents to provide job. And these days so many students get trapped in hands of these filthy agents and fake companies.
Don’t worry, if you don’t get sponsorship during admission. After 2nd year, you are ready for campus placement for different companies. Good colleges make arrangement for campus recruitment regularly.