There are some common interview questions which are asked in various shipping companies, we have collected those questions for the preparation of interview.
- Introduce Yourself.
- What’s your family background?
- Tell me about your strength and weakness.
- You are only son of your parents, Do your parents agree with your decision to join and serve this career?
- What job do you expect onboard?
- Why do you want to join Merchant Navy?
- Who did suggest you to join this career?
- Why do you want to join this company?
- Why should I recruit you?
- What do you know about this company?
- How do you see yourself, 10 years from now?
- Do you think shipping is good for you?
- What would you do if you are asked to clean the floor of E/R?
- Do you have any question for us?
Prepare for general awareness (Current Affairs).
- Are you satisfied with your academic performance?
- Why did you choose this college for training?
- Do you have any back log in your exams, If yes, then why?
- Why there is drop in your performance in your last semester?
- Explain your models/paper presentations in brief.
- What is famous in your college?
- Which is your favourite subject and which subject you don’t like? (Answer diplomatically)
- On which law, IC Engine works?
- Did you visit any ship? If yes, then tell me about power of the engine?
- Name some Engine Room machinery.
- What are difference between Sulzer and MAN B & W?
- Can you draw and explain the timing diagram of 2-stroke and 4-stroke engine?
- How can you differentiate between 2-stroke and 4-stroke engine?
- What is tappet clearance?
- How does turbocharger work? Is there any difference between supercharger and turbocharger?
- What is the purpose of auxiliary blower?
- Why uniflow scavenging is preferred over reverse flow scavenging?
- Is there any difference between piston of 2-stroke and 4-stroke?
- What do you about Intelligent Engine?
- Tell me something about Alpha lubricator system.
- Which type of fuel pump is used in Sulzer engines?
- Can you explain me exhaust valve?
- How would you know that tie rod is broken?
- What is thrust block and where it is in engine room?
- What is the difference between cylinder oil and crankcase oil of main engine?
- Can you tell me the importance of indicator diagrams? What is draw card?
- How VIT system is beneficial for engines?
- What is scavenge fire and crankcase explosion?
- What is the purpose of piston rings?
- What is the difference between centrifugal pump and screw pump?
- Which type of pump is used as L.O pump and why?
- What is the difference between relief valve and safety valve? Why boiler has safety valve and air bottle has relief valve?
- What are the over-board (O/B) valves?
- What is the difference between Gate valve and Globe valve?
- How fresh water is generated onboard? What is the use of air ejector and brine ejector?
- How does Oily Water Separator (OWS) work? What are the regulations for discharging bilge water?
- What is steam trap?
- What are the safety mountings of boiler?
- What is scum valve and what is its function?
- How do you flash up a boiler?
- What are the functions of water in purifier?
- What do you know about ALCAP purifier?
- What are the safety items in Air compressor?
- How do you check bumping clearance?
- How does intercooler increase the efficiency of compressor?
- Tell me about Hele-shaw pump?
- Why steering gear is named as gear?
- How you will differentiate between filter and strainer?
- How stern tube is lubricated?
- What do you know about hydrophore system?
- Why we need refrigeration at ship? What is the arrangement for that?
- How refrigeration is different from air conditioning?
- Tell me the works which can be done by using lathe machine?
- How heat is transferred? (methods of heat transferring)
- How electricity is produced at ship?
- What is power factor and how it affects?
- What do you know about AVR?
- What is earth fault?
- How does induction motor work?
- What is the use of transformer?
- Can you say something about starter of motor?
- What is HRC fuse?
- What are the safeties in Main Switchboard (MSB)?
- What is megger?
- What do you mean by high voltage at ship?
- What is ampere/hour?
- What is PID controller?
- Do you know about parallel operation of alternators?
- Name the instrument by which you can measure electrolyte of battery.
- What do you mean by single phasing?
- What are the use of 24v at ship?
- What are the life saving appliances at ship? Name some of them.
- What are MARPOL? Name all annexes.
- What do you mean by SOLAS? How many chapters are in SOLAS?
- What is STCW? What do you know about watchkeeping?
- Tell me some fire fighting equipment.
- What do you think about MLC 2006?
- Name some MARPOL equipments.
- What will you do in an emergency? (your actions in emergency)
- What will be your regular practice for being safe?
Naval Architecture & Ship Co.
- What is angle of loll, can you explain?
- What do you know about bilge keel?
- Tell me about degree of freedom for ship.
- Why ship is trim by aft?
- What is block coefficient and how it affects the design of ship?
- What is TPC?
- How metacentric height is important?
- Which type of propeller is mostly used for large ships?
- What do you understand by thrust power?
- Why deep tank is important?
Best wishes for your interview.